Configure RBAC and set the organisation field to restrict access to your organisation.
Create a Github OAuth2 Application
- Login to GitHub and navigate to the organisation you wish to integrate with Kpow.
- Navigate to Settings > Developer Settings > OAuth Apps > New Oath Application
- Fill out the Register a new OAuth application form:
- Application Name: The name of your Kpow instance, e.g. 'Kpow Staging'.
- Homepage URL: The absolute URL to your Kpow instance, e.g.
- Authorization callback URL: The absolute URL for authorization callback, e.g.
- Open your freshly created OAuth App and make note of the Client ID and Client Secret.
Integrate Kpow with Github OAuth2
Set the following environment variables and start Kpow:
OPENID_AUTH_URI=The URI to authorize Github users, e.g.
https://github.com/login/oauth/authorize, or [Github Enterprise Host]/login/oauth/authorize
OPENID_TOKEN_URI=The URI to retrieve an OAuth token, e.g.
https://github.com/login/oauth/access_token, or [Github Enterprise Host]/login/oauth/access_token
GITHUB_API_ENDPOINT=The URI to perform user actions, e.g.
https://api.github.com/, or [Github Enterprise Host]/api/v3/
OPENID_CLIENT_ID=the Client ID found in the OAuth Apps page (required)
OPENID_CLIENT_SECRET=the Client Secret found in the OAuth Apps page (required)
AUTH_LANDING_URI=The absolute Kpow URI, e.g.
Kpow will now authenticate users with Github via OAuth2.
See the guide to Role Based Access Control for full configuration details.
Integrate Github SSO and RBAC
When RBAC is enabled Kpow will request
orgs:read scope to view a user's roles.
Default Github Roles
Github Organisation roles are restricted to
member so they are the two default roles you can configure with Kpow RBAC when using Github SSO.
Kpow makes a request to the GitHub API for user membership state and role information by querying
GET /orgs/:org/memberships/:username. Specify the
github key inside your
rbac-config.yaml to define the Github Organisation to query for role information, and optional role_field to use.
Using Github Teams for Roles
Note: Github Teams configuration requires extra OAuth scopes:
Kpow can use the teams associated with the authenticated user as roles in Kpow. You can do this by specifying a custom
roles_field in the RBAC yaml:
# Specifically restrict Auth to a single Github Organization # Specify that a user's teams field should be used to identify roles github: org: factorhouse role_field: teams
Once enabled, Kpow will use the list teams API call to query for roles.
This sample configuration specifies:
- Who may access Kpow
- Which users are Kpow admins
- What RBAC policies are in place
- Access is restricted to one Github organisation
- Github Teams are used as user-roles for RBAC
See: Role Based Access Control for more information.
# Allow all users who can authenticate access the application authorized_roles: - "*" # Specify that users with the role 'admin' are Admins admin_roles: - "admin" # Define some RBAC policies policies: - resource: ["cluster", "N9xnGujkR32eYxHICeaHuQ"] effect: "Allow" actions: ["TOPIC_INSPECT", "TOPIC_PRODUCE"] role: "admin" # Specifically restrict Auth to a single Github Organization # Specify that a user's teams field should be used to identify roles github: org: factorhouse role_field: teams